Pepper Steak as we call it, or rather guessing Carne Guisada, is one of my favorite taco fillings. If you put steak,(we always use venison backstrap), onions, bell peppers, and a little gravy with a whole lot of flavor it has to be delicious!!!
I thought, how delicious would it be to put that scrumptious filling in a flaky crust in a hand pie, with a little cheese of course. It was perfect. If you get tired of making those pies or run out of pie crust, just use the rest with a tortilla. Win-win all the way around!!
I hope you enjoy the recipe, it has always been a family favorite!!
- 1 package premade rolled piecrust
- flour for rolling and cutting
- 1 pound round steak, tenderized if possible, (we use venison backstrap)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2-3 Tablespoons oil
- salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning
- 1 sliced red bell pepper or red and green!!
- 1/2 sliced medium size onion
- 1 can rotel tomatoes and green chilis
- 1/2 cup water, maybe more
- *1/4 cup water mixed with 2 Tablespoons flour---if needed
- *optional A little cheese to sprinkle before you put the crust on top
- Roll out dough onto floured surface, cut even amount of 4-6 inch circles
- Cut meat into bit size pieces, I prefer slicing long skinny pieces and cutting about 1 1/2 inches long, pour 1/3 cup flour and coat, season with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning
- Coat skillet with oil, preheat skillet, brown meat
- Add sliced onion and bell pepper
- Cook until Veggies are soft and meat is done
- Add Rotel, Water
- Cook down until a thick gravy, if needed, add the flour-water mixture
- Preheat oven according to piecrust
- Place half of the piecrust rounds on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Spoon dollups of meat mixture on the "half" of the rounds of piecrust
- Place other piecrust rounds on top of pies, seal edges with fork
- Bake according to piecrust instructions.
- This makes more than enough for the pies, use the extra for tacos!!