This, is my go-to breakfast.
We all love it, it is easy and delicious, & I always have the ingredients on hand. Of course I do, we eat Mexican food at least twice a week. Yep, we are addicted to it.
I am not quiet sure if my recipe is the traditional, proper Migas, but, it is mine, and it is Delicious!! My kids and husband like it. They will try and eat just about anything but they are still quiet picky when it comes to quality and flavor.
They are grown now 😉 at 20 and 24. Gosh, I am old!! But, I swore when they were small that I would NOT prepare special kid food and that they would develop palates to appreciate being in a foody household. Now, they cook better than I do. I bake, I do bake quiet well if I do say so myself. I can cook but it requires more effort and thought on my part. So, hence the blog….I am determined to change my cooking habits.
Of course we live right next to Austin, Best city ever!! So, when they were small we would go to the morning free kids movie at Westgate and head over to Central Market to roam and try new dishes from their wonderful samplings. If they tried it and liked it (something new), I would buy the ingredients and we would prepare it at home. It worked, they love to try new things and they both love to cook. Sometimes I am quiet spoiled with their dishes and quiet blown away.
So….to get back to the subject of my post, Migas!! These are wonderful!! I hope you enjoy this for brunch or breakfast soon!! The recipe is below. Feel free to change it up as you like.
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup semi crunched tortilla chips
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 6 eggs, or more,
- 1/8th chub of velveeta or similar cheese, that melts easily
- 2 Tablespoons water or enough to thin enough to pour over eggs
- Cilantro for garnish
- melt butter in skillet
- add onions, peppers, and tortillas
- cook until onions and peppers are soft and tortillas are slightly toasted
- set aside in bowl or plate
- add a bit more butter if needed
- scramble eggs until still a bit runny, not quiet done
- add tortillas chip mixture
- finish cooking
- place on serving dish
- melt cheese and water in microwave safe bowl
- stir and add more water if need to be able to just drizzle over eggs
- garnish with cilantro
- they are ready!!
Do you like my post?